Thursday, February 02, 2006

Guess ours is not a new idea

Actually, we knew that. But if you want to see how the Sioux Falls Argus Leader did its series of stories on Indian education go to this link: http://www.argusleader.com/specialsections/2004/biaschools/

Fifty cents for the first person to explain the statistics graph drawn on the blackboard in class yesterday. Ahh, yes. Journalists + Numbers = Disaster. Be careful out there.

If you want the names and email addresses of the reporters assigned to your reservation last year or in years previous, ask me or Teresa. They may have some advice on sources.

Don't forget: You must read every story in previous tabs from your assigned reservation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carol Van Valkenburg said...

Here I am, commenting on my own comment. If you haven't checked out the Montana Office of Public Instruction page yet, do. For example, if you go to www.opi.state.mt.us/ and, in the links at the top, click on NCLB Report Card, you can find out how any of the schools in the state are doing meeting No Child Left Behind standards. There's a lot of general data too, such as the graduation rates for Indian high school students v whtes.
Lots of fodder for story ideas. Ask sources, what programs/teacher/children are doing especially well? What are the biggest challenges you're facing? Can you guide me to someone who is 1) doing something unique, or 2) overcoming a challenge?

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some things I've come across (or haven't yet)...
1. I wanted to find a good PRINTABLE version of the school district distro of funds fr. the 12/05 Special Session, but could only find the links on the Legislative Fiscal Division (http://leg.state.mt.us/content/publications/fiscal/ss_2005/School_District_Impact.htm). Good stuff, but I would like a hard copy. Has anyone else found it?
2. If you have any questions about reservation treaties, you can find them at the law library. One of the librarians, Stacey Gordon, led me right to them and the Blackfeet treaties. She can also help you find if there are any cases re: the Indian Educ. for All Act.
3. I took multicultural reporting last year and read this book w/a chap. w/tips on how to cover Indians by the J-school's Denny McAuliffe. It gives some good basic info that's helping me out. My partner has it right now, but feel free to borrow.
4. I might have a NAJA stylebook handout fr. the class that people can skim. I'll check and let you know.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Carol Van Valkenburg said...

I have an excel spreadsheet that shows all the funding from the special session. You can get a copy from me in my office.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home